Micro teaching – Object based learning

The microteaching session was a brilliant testing ground for me to explore my object-based learning and gain feedback on my delivery. At every point that we have been asked to think about our teaching methodologies and what we hope that students would gain I have always spoken about making people/students feel good about learning.

I delivered a 10-minute session and placed an object (Yoruba talking drum) in the centre of the room and handed out post-it notes. I first gauged the room to find out how everyone was feeling so I would be aware as to whether or not I needed to adapt my style of delivery to accommodate the group – thinking about being high energy or calm and whether or not that would be appropriate to help the group reach the destination in terms of thinking.

I asked the group a total of 6 questions which were designed to support students coming to a point of realisation by themselves without feeling conscious and being able to ask questions and share their understanding of the object. The overall aim of the session was to get the group to realise the importance of multiple narratives and understand the dangers of pre-conceived ideas in the context of objects.

I received a lot of positive feedback from the group as well as suggestions which made me think about how I could support students who didn’t necessarily feel comfortable to share their thoughts and ideas in a group setting.